[wiaattorneys] Email Accounts

  • From: John Albin <jalbin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wiaattorneys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:46:29 -0500

Nebraska encourages job seekers to use email as a part of their job search
process so we encourage them to set up email accounts if they do not have
one and allow them to access email accounts from the resource room.  We
view email accounts as just the way of the world these days.  I don't
think we are exposed to any significant liability if we allow them to
access accounts from the resource room and I am not aware of any public
libraries that have been sued because individuals accessed email accounts
from the library.  We do post signs and have a sign-on acceptance screen
that notifies the job seeker that the computer may only be used for job
seeking purposes and they cannot access the computer without agreeing to
abide by the policy.  So far we have only had one individual who we had to
revoke privileges on because he was accessing email accounts from our
resource room and using it for an abusive purpose. A much bigger problem
is the individuals who access porn sites from resource rooms and we have
had to sanction several people who have managed to get around our filters.

John H. Albin
Agency Legal Counsel
Nebraska Workforce Development
Department of Labor