[webwithout-ie] Re: article:AOL Concocts a Mess With Netscape 8.0

  • From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webwithout-ie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 07:48:05 +0930

David Poehlman wrote:
> We should watch this carefully.

(David refers to washingtonpost.com article " AOL Concocts a Mess With
Netscape 8.0" transcribed in his original e-mail.)

It's things like this that make me wonder how we ever progressed beyond
using stone axes.

My browsing history started with Spry Mosaic (presented by Compuserv),
went through various versions of Netscape until about 2002, when I was
actually able to get Mozilla to work reliably then, within the last
year, moved to Firefox (with Thunderbird).

Throughout that time, I've seen a steady evolution of software that has
got better and better; although some of the Firefox modus operandi annoy
me a bit (more like IE than Netscape), standards compliance and easy
extensibility make it the best browser I've ever seen.  (When I say easy
extensibility - it really is; the XML-meets-JavaScript that is XUL is a
joy to work with).

So now AOL takes what may be the pinnacle of browser development and
then cripples it.  It's like taking a liver transplant from someone who
has died of alcoholism.  Why?

As a developer, the ability of Firefox to emulate IE could be useful,
although I don't see a Linux version yet.  However, releasing yet
another security hazard on an already battered public is a terrible thing.

Matthew just sits in his chair, shaking his head at the folly of it all.

End of rant.

--
Matthew Smith
South Australia

You can view this list's archives and rss feed at:
//www.freelists.org/archives/webwithout-ie

for unsubscribing, you can also send a message with the word unsubscribe in the
subject line leaving the rest of the message blank to:
webwithout-ie-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
and you will need to respond to the confirmation message you recieve in order
to be removed from the list.

for subscribing or resubscribing
you can also send a message with the word subscribe in the subject line leaving
the rest of the message blank to:
webwithout-ie-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
and you will need to respond to the confirmation message you recieve in order
to be added to the list.

To contact list management, write to:
webwithout-ie-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
***end of list info***