[webwithout-ie] Fw: help - tab index in form with labels - Win/Mac difference

  • From: "david poehlman" <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <webwithout-ie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:21:09 -0500

Thoughts?

Johnnie Apple Seed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Antony Tennant" <antonytennant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@xxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: help - tab index in form with labels - Win/Mac difference

Further to my original note

I have experienced the problems mainly with Mac osX and os9 with IE 5.2 and
5 respectively, and windows NT and 2000 with IE 5.5 and 6. Firefox isnt a
problem. I only have Safari 1.0 (prob downloading new version) which has
limited tabbing anyway.

The sample page appears to have banners (with some browsers) because I am
using some free space, but on a Mac IE it will tab through the index, (then
to the web hosted by brinkster link) then to the field labels and finally
the reminaing brinkster links.

Hopes this makes a bit more sense, apologies for lack of direct info before.

---------------------------Original
Note------------------------------------------------------------------

I have noticed a difference between Macs and Windows regarding the natural
tab index when labels are used in a form.

The Macs will tab to the label and the form element separately where as
Windows tabs to the form element only.

When I add a tab index to the form elements it causes a problem on a MAC. It
will tab through the stated index on the elements but then through the
labels. I have created a simple form with tab index to demonstrate the
difference:-  www31.brinkster.com/atennant/tab_index.html

If I duplicate the tab index number on both label and input it is not a good
experience on windows.

I am currently working on a form that has several fields and links and need
to add a tab index to ensure a logical tab order. Unfortunately I am needing
to use CSS to reposition some of the links (a design and technical
requirement I cant get around) and this does not give a logical tab order,
so I cant rely on the natural order as decided by the browser.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

browser to:
//www.freelists.org/list/webwithout-ie

You can view this list's archives and rss feed at:
//www.freelists.org/archives/webwithout-ie

for unsubscribing, you can also send a message with the word unsubscribe in the
subject line leaving the rest of the message blank to:
webwithout-ie-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
and you will need to respond to the confirmation message you recieve in order
to be removed from the list.

for subscribing or resubscribing
you can also send a message with the word subscribe in the subject line leaving
the rest of the message blank to:
webwithout-ie-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
and you will need to respond to the confirmation message you recieve in order
to be added to the list.

To contact list management, write to:
webwithout-ie-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
***end of list info***