[webproducers] Re: replying to msgs

  • From: Morry Galonoy <morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:00:38 -0400

Thanks for the feedback MJ.  This has come up a few times over the
years and most of the feedback we got was that people liked it so that
reply wen to the entire list.

The most common rationale I got was
a) it's a discussion list so the default should be to discuss (i.e.
send to the entire list)
b) people were used to reply going to the whole list for ours and most
other discussion lists they were on

If memory serves correctly in our early years (maybe around 2002 or
2003 ) I did change the list so that reply went only to the original
poster but we went back to the way it is now to support the feedback
we got.

These are not necessarily my own opinions but just the feedback I've
gotten over the years and if the community would like to change this I
am happy to change the settings.

Discuss ... Discuss... Discuss (BUT TRIM THOSE POSTS!)
--

On Jun 19, 2009, at 3:46 AM, MJ Ray wrote:

> Morry Galonoy <morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Just a reminder that when you hit reply it goes to the entire list.
>> If
>> you want to e-mail someone directly please cut and paste their
>> address
>> into a new message.
>>
>> Also, please remember to trim your posts/replies so we don't have
>> these huge long e-mails with the same msg over and over again. This
>> will help us have clean archives and also make the digest mode a bit
>> more readable.
>
> Good advice on trimming, but couldn't this list switch from forcing
> the reply-to and start using list-post instead?
>
> In other words, let people use the list-reply or reply-all command
> of our email programs when we want to reply to the list.  If anyone
> wants list-reply to be the usual reply action, they can tell their
> email program.  If someone's email program does not support mailing
> list use properly, then they should consider upgrading or using a
> filter in front of it to give the settings that they want.
>
> I have some notes about list-friendly email clients that people have
> sent me at http://mjr.towers.org.uk/comp/list-mua.html and Claws Mail
> looks like the best at the moment.
>
> List-admin, please don't break everyone else's reply command because
> some email programs are deficient.
>
> Regards,
> --
> MJ Ray (slef)
> Webmaster for hire, statistician and online shop builder for a small
> worker cooperative http://www.ttllp.co.uk/ http://mjr.towers.org.uk/
> (Notice http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html) tel:+44-844-4437-237

--=
http://webproducers.org/?page_id=9

Web Producers Job Board http://jobs.webproducers.org

Join us on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3877&trk=hb_side_g

Messages are archived in our publicly accessible web archive. Trim your posts
and delete personal information if you do not want them in the public web
archive.