[webproducers] Re: change templates

  • From: "Surla, Stacy" <SSurla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:27:20 -0400

Morry wrote:

Does anyone have a template they use or especially like to keep track of
changes that are requested to a site?

___

We handle this as part of the communication process, in our e-mail, rather
than using a checklist or a database.  It works really well.  First, the
requests for changes/additions always come from somewhere - usually by
e-mail from the client, but sometimes verbally from the project staff or
from amongst ourselves.  In any case, the web producer (me), turns the
request into a documented action item by sending an email to the person
whose supposed to take care of the task.  Sometimes, of course, you have to
break the request out into lots of taks for different people to handle.  The
e-mail will have a meaningful subject line and a level of urgency (urgent,
important, standard, or whatever scale you want).  Then I file my copy of
the sent email into a to-do folder in my e-mail program with that person's
name on it (like, Melanie_to_do, Yan_to_do, Brenda_to_do, etcetera).  When
the thing is done, that person emails me back saying it is done, and sends a
copy to the quality control person.  I put their "done" message into a
"To_QC" folder, and move the original request from "Melanie_to_do" into
"To_QC" as well.  Then the quality control person checks that the work was
done the way it was supposed to, and sends me a message to that effect.  I
can then e-mail the client or project staff or anyone who needs to know, and
let them know that such-and-such has been posted to the web.  At that point
I drag all the messages related to that task into a "Done_7-01" folder (or
whatever month it gets done in).

So, if I want to check what things haven't been done yet, I can look in each
person's To_Do folder and then talk to them about whether they need more
time or help or whatever.  Also, when I have to write my monthly report, I
just look in the "Done" folder and summarize what happened that month.

No scraps of paper are involved - every task to be done gets translated
right away into a specific request, which gets handled by the appropriate
person.

Hope this is helpful.  I hope the explanation didn't make your head spin,
either.

~Stacy

Questions and comments are welcome just e-mail me,
webproducers-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   -Morry