[webproducers] Re: What's in a name... Producer - Project Manager

  • From: Jeffrey Herz <jeffrey_herz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:50:31 -0700 (PDT)

In my opinion, the role and title is determined by the function that the person
is performing within the organization.  Are they more creative oriented or
technology focused?
Historically in advertising (and in television), a producer is the person that
is responsible for getting all the work done across the board.  At an
advertising agency the production group is usually within the auspices of the
creative department and the producer is tasked with ensuring that that work is
completed and/or delivered when and where it needs to be.  A producer could
work for the studio or production.  In the web world, producers would work more
closely with the creative director, IA, flash developers and Front end folks.
They are the bridge between the client and the creative department.  The
producer should be able to oversee the entire creative process and know what
outputs are required and when they need to be delivered.   They should also
know how to lead & motivate the most artistic team members into delivering the
best work

Traditionally a Project Manager derives from the engineering discipline
(construction, architecture, electrical, software, etc.) and tends to be more
technical in nature.  Since there is a much more of scientific approach with
technical endeavors, project managers need to be more focused on the details
and the schedule.  Knowing and understanding the Software Development Life
Cycle, (SDLC) and all the deliverables that are associated with technology is
vital to the success of a project manager.  This role is often the liason
between the client and the technical team.  Project Managers tend to have a
better understanding of the entire project, including understanding the
business drivers, ensuring that the functionality meets those business drivers
and making sure that the solution ultimately delivers against the business
drivers.  The project manager is also responsible for tracking the overall
progress of the project, providing status reports and also
 assessing risk and creating mitigation plans.  Finally the project manager
should have some technical background as well, to be able to have a technical
discussion, review an architecture and push the techies to determine if they
are providing you with the absolute best solution.

This is not to say to say that producers and project managers are mutually
exclusive, since there can often be a large union of skills and backgrounds
depending upon your specific project.  However, in general if you have a more
creative project, I would look for a producer to lead the initiative, if it is
a more technical solution, then a project manager is more appropriate.

Just my $.02

Jeff Herz
JMO Consulting
47 Cascade Court