[webproducers] Re: Question for all

  • From: "Darren Himebrook" <darren.himebrook@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:23:25 -0400

I'm sure we have quite an interesting spread of skill sets here, would be
really interested in hearing more about what every one's focus is and their
experience.
My background is interactive production for Advertising, Microsites, online
content(video, animations, rich media), the buzz title for producers in
advertising right now is integrated producer. I qualify for it on its merit
which is jack-of-all-trade type producing but have never really been a fan
of the word "integrated". This usually means you have experience producing
video, print and interactive, a challenge to get all that experience and be
good at them too, its that old problem of becoming "the master of none".

To answer some of the follow up questions, since I'm producing a range of
projects from videos to sites the project management approach varies, as
simple as it is  on pretty much any type of project I try to employ the
morning scrum meeting. Its always an effective way to keep up with all the
issues on a project and keep all parties communicating.

I like to do as much documentation as possible, but some projects because of
timing or lack of clarity at the start end up being light on the
documentation, a usual problem with advertising, always needs to be done
yesterday...

Currently I freelance but have worked at a couple large ad agencies, Crispin
Porter + Bogusky, Wieden + Kennedy. I'm freelancing for Teamdetroit and
Wunderman at the moment. I would say thought that interactive producing for
advertising is quite different from interactive producing for software, or
gaming, similar core skills but advertising comes with the whole challenge
of working with an ad agency... a unique experience for sure...

Cheers,