[wdmaudiodev] Re: writing driver coinstaller

  • From: "victorl" <vvl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 10:10:17 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: wdmaudiodev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wdmaudiodev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Walter Oney
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2002 12:15 PM
To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [wdmaudiodev] Re: writing driver coinstaller
There are at least two ways of doing this
What other ways can you think of?
Thank you.

"vvl1964 " wrote:
> I need to customize driver install process so that user would be
> prompted with custom dialog after driver is actually installed.
> Is it possible to somehow execute it ( dialog) from inf file as exe,
> or do I have to write coinstaller (dll ) for it? What coinstaller
> event handler would be the best to use for it?

There are at least two ways of doing this, I think. One way is to handle
the DIF_NEWDEVICEWIZARD_FINISHINSTALL event by providing a custom page
for the hardware wizard. This will not work in 98/Me (if you care)
because those platforms don't support coinstallers. Another way is to
fire off an application with an entry in the RunOnce registry key. Using
RunOnce will probably earn you some grief from WHQL, however.

Many of the techniques you'd want to use are discussed in ch. 15 of the
2d ed of my WDM book. The book samples also include some C++ classes
that make it very easy to build coinstallers using MFC.

--
Walter Oney, Consulting and Training
Basic and Advanced Driver Programming Seminars