[wdmaudiodev] Re: wdmaudiodev Digest V6 #38

  • From: "David Roach" <david.roach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:34:07 -0500

Tim Roberts wrote:
>Are you on Vista?  On Vista, it seems that the audio engine process
>sometimes instantiates an audio driver and forgets to release it.  I've
>especially found this if I ever bring up Control Panel.  I suspect it
>comes from displaying the little vu meters.

You can disable the input vu meters in the control panel on Vista by going
into the system control panel and selecting Advanced System Settings to
bring up the System Properties dialog. Go to the Advanced tab, and click on
the Performance Settings button to bring up the Performance Options dialog.
Then uncheck the checkbox named Animate Control and Elements Inside Windows.

The VU meters will now be gone.

This is useful when you're trying to narrow down a source of interactions.
However, it's best to leave these on for most testing, since that is the
default for most Vista installations, and more accurately represents the
user experience.

Best,
David Roach