[wdmaudiodev] Re: wasapi audioclientproperties

  • From: gordon keith <gordik55@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:21:12 +0000

Am just trying to get the best sound out of the hifi, there are a lot of people
who are dissatisfied with the digital sound of computer sourced music and this
was an attempt to see/hear what an optimised player sounded like, surprisingly
it has made a difference.
have looked at the ks sample before, but haven't seen a version that works on
win7/8.
the raw flag has a small effect, would rather have it on than off.
have never really warmed to the sound of asio players.
there are loads of people running win server 2012 r2 on headless i7 machines to
try and get the best sound quality, the player software is just another part of
the puzzle.
cheers

From: Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [wdmaudiodev] Re: wasapi audioclientproperties
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:48:02 +0000

The PCM-ness is determined by the WAVEFORMATEX you pass to
IAudioClient::Initialize, not by anything you pass to
IAudioClient2::SetClientProperties.

Since you’re using exclusive mode anyway, I don’t think passing the “raw mode”
flag will have much of an effect. You can think of “raw mode” as a way to get
 the “I can bypass processing that I really don’t want because X” benefits of
exclusive mode without having to put up with the nasty “but nothing else can
play now” drawbacks.

If you’re really interested in direct kernel streaming, there’s a sample here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18989

The DirectKS sample application program demonstrates how a user-mode client can
achieve direct access to kernel streaming (KS) filters.

You might also explore the ASIO streaming model, which is another way to talk
directly to the driver. (This isn’t a Microsoft API, though, so Microsoft won’t
 be able to support you.)

Like Frank, I’m interested to know *why* you want to get so close to the metal.
Can you give some more detail?