[wdmaudiodev] Re: wasapi audioclientproperties

  • From: "Vincent Burel \(VB-Audio\)" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 08:35:31 +0200

As possible reference, note the existing HIFI-Cable: bit perfect and high
definition virtual audio device that can be routed to audio pro device
thanks to ASIO Bridge (more and more used by audiophiles as far as I know).

Download and info on www.vb-cable.com

Regards

Vincent Burel

www.vb-audio.com

From: Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:48:02 +0000

The PCM-ness is determined by the WAVEFORMATEX you pass to
IAudioClient::Initialize, not by anything you pass to
IAudioClient2::SetClientProperties.

Since you’re using exclusive mode anyway, I don’t think passing the “raw
mode” flag will have much of an effect. You can think of “raw mode” as a way
to get the “I can bypass processing that I really don’t want because X”
benefits of exclusive mode without having to put up with the nasty “but
nothing else can play now” drawbacks.

If you’re really interested in direct kernel streaming, there’s a sample
here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18989

The DirectKS sample application program demonstrates how a user-mode client
can achieve direct access to kernel streaming (KS) filters.

You might also explore the ASIO streaming model, which is another way to
talk directly to the driver. (This isn’t a Microsoft API, though, so
Microsoft won’t be able to support you.)

Like Frank, I’m interested to know *why* you want to get so close to the
metal. Can you give some more detail?