[wdmaudiodev] Re: wasapi audioclientproperties

  • From: Frank Yerrace <Frank.Yerrace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 22:12:18 +0000

>Am puzzled about what a raw stream is,

It just bypasses the post-processing provided by the OEM's audio driver and
associated hardware and software. Whether this results in better sound will be
subjective, and will also vary from one device to the next. I would not suggest
hard-coding this setting into any app.

Do you care to reveal what device you are doing this on? I'm just curious.

From: Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 16:08:54 +0000
I'd like you to perform two experiments, if you are willing.

1.       Download the effects discovery sample
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Audio-effects-discovery-5fd65c15 ,
build it, and run it. What effects does the audio driver in question provide
for non-RAW background-capable media?
2.       Go to the Sound control panel, double-click the default device, and
disable all enhancements (there's a checkbox on one of the tabs; depending on
the audio driver it could be on the "Enhancements" tab, the "Advanced" tab, or
on a tab with some other name.)

What does that do to the sound of your player, and to the sound of other
players, and to the advertised effects for non-RAW background-capable media?