[wdmaudiodev] speaker configuration and KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT

  • From: "Philip Lukidis" <plukidis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:19:46 -0500

Hello.  Concerning our WDM audio device, which supports multichannel and
headphones, I am trying to move away from our proprietary speaker configuration
and work with the new Vista settings.  Towards that endeavour, I now support
KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT on the filter (supporting it in the pins does
not work at all for some reason, why?).  This is so that we succeed whatever
formats we support, and the Vista settings list our speaker configurations for
the user to select.

Setting the speaker configuration (except headphones, which is a different
endpoint) seems to work fine- when the user selects the speaker configuration,
we receive a KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT request with user selected
configuration.  However, I have the following questions:
a) I am not able to get the pin except by checking the IRP in a try except
handler, and extracting the KS_PIN structure.  Is there a better way?
b) How do I get notified if the user selects headphones?  So far I never get
called if I select the headphones endpoint.
c) (somewhat OT) When I start playback, I get a call to my
KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT handler, but the WAVE_FORMAT_EX structure
seems a bit corrupt- the subformat is not KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_PCM, but
something else (00000055-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71).  What does this
represent?

Am I approaching this problem the wrong way?  Thanks for any help,

Philip Lukidis