[wdmaudiodev] Re: setting sample rate in the control panel in Vista

  • From: Uwe Kirst <u.kirst@xxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:10:41 +0100

Eugene Gavrilov schrieb:
Uwe,

Thank  you  for your suggestion. I'm currently considering two options
(I'm not sure which is the best from the end-user point of view):
* declare only current sample rate in the Vista control panel, and use
custom  control panel for sample rate switch (it will be automatic for
external sources)
That would be great, but how do you do that without unloading the driver? My understanding was so far that this is not possible. Please correct me if I´m wrong. Unloading the driver is not an option for me, because the driver has to control the hardware all the time the hardware is present. The driver is also needed for the other intefaces (ASIO / GSIF).
* declare  all supported sample rates, but fail any request to change
the rate unless it is equal to the hardware's.

That was more or less what I suggested I think. From the end-user point of view this is of course bad. If you think of a MADI interface for example. It supports 64 channels of audio of the same rate. If the hardwares samplerate changes the user has to switch the format 64 times within the vista control panel (32 times record, 32 times playback). I think I would have gone crasy before I have finished changing the SF.

In my oppinion the audio driver writes are not responsible for this basic vista flaw. Its not acceptable for us to unload/load or even install a driver just because the samplerate changes. If all companies
agree microsoft will provide a bugfix soon.

Yes,  I  agree  this needs to be re-designed. For instance, my driver
supports  ASIO,  and  an ASIO host can change audio card's sample rate
based  on the project currently open. My ASIO driver communicates with
the  kernel-level  component without any need for WinMM/KS/etc, but it
cannot set 'preferred sample rate' for WinMM applications. Most of the
applications on the marked do not support Vista's 'exclusive mode' and
it  is  not  fast enough because it is still KS-based, that's why ASIO
and GSIF are still necessary.

I fully agree with you.
/Uwe