[wdmaudiodev] Re: setting sample rate in the control panel in Vista

  • From: Hakon Strande <hakons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 10:06:28 -0700

David,

On the audio side we counted 17 values and 2 keys per device endpoint,
let's round it up to 20. :-)

So 32 devices creates around 640 registry keys/values in audio alone.
There may be a furious storm of registry reads/writes on the PNP side
too - we are not sure how much, the PnP team would have to be consulted.

Also, a device install causes us to use SetupDi which will certainly
cause more registry reads to happen as we traverse the device topology
introduced by the new device arrival.

15000 seems a little high to me though... is this a REAL or theoretical
problem at this point?

You can inspect this further by using process monitor during PnP
install.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.m
spx

Sincerely,