[wdmaudiodev] Re: firewire

  • From: "Kevin Vanwulpen" <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:40:39 -0700

The AMBus card is an mLAN card. AMBus is the spec for the backplane
connector in other words it just specifies that currently you can plug it in
the Apogee Trak2 and Apogee AD8000. The chipset used is mLAN.
Please note that some (and I won't call names) companies don't even use
Firewire but just use a Firewire cable with a proprietary format and
proprietary PCI card. In other words you can only plug these into that PCI
card, not at all into a Firewire port (lets say on a laptop).

mLAN is close to generic Firewire audio I/O but the Microsoft/Apple drivers
are not availlable yet. I obviously can not comment on when that will be.

There is an AES specification for what you refer to as generic Firewire
audio. mLAN is very close to this, and I won't go into the long historical
background of this all.
The Microsoft and Apple drivers will most likely support mLAN. We (being
Apogee) wanted to support open standards so customers are free to choose
what equipment/software they want and mix and match a studio together.

Regards, Kevin