[wdmaudiodev] Re: dwChannelMask

  • From: "carsten schulz" <carsten.schulz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:24:22 +0100

> Those drivers only seem to work if
> all channels are opened...
[...]
> Same thing goes with a 2-channel-card and only selecting
> a mono-channel.

The audio driver is normally only capable of the formats that the
hardware device supports. That's one of the concepts of WDM audio. All
format conversion is done by Kmixer. If e.g. a hardware only supports
stereo operation, it is normally not possible to allocate a mono stream
to that driver.

> The solution obviously is to always open all channels and
> stream silence to the ones not in use - but I think this
> is a waste of bandwidth/performance...

AFAIR that's what KMixer does with those cards.

Best Regards,
Carsten