[wdmaudiodev] co-installer: modifying the registry before the driver starts up.

  • From: Andrew Wheeler <AWheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:21:57 -0500

Hey folk,

I am trying to use a co-installer to customize the registry during a driver
install.  Currently, my co-installer modifies the registry when it receives
DIF_INSTALLDEVICE: that is, before Windows fully installs the driver.
Though this lets me modify the registry before the driver starts up, it also
means that the co-installer is "superseded" by the INF file
registry-settings, since Windows acts on the AddReg and DelReg sections in
the INF after it calls the co-installer with DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.  So I would
like the co-installer to "supersede" the INF file, but I also need the
driver to re-start once the new settings are in place.  That leads me to two
problems:

1. There doesn't seem to be any published (coinstaller-friendly) DIF codes
that occur after the registry has been modified to reflect the INF file, but
before the driver starts up.

2. The only way I have found to re-start the hardware from the co-installer
is by calling SetupDiChangeState after setting DICS_PROPCHANGE in the class
installation parameters - but it seems like I can only make this call during
a custom property-sheet's dialog callback that I supplied during
DIF_NEWDEVICEWIZARD_FINISHINSTALL.  That would be fine, but our customers
may complain if I add a new wizard page (there are currently *none*, which
suits the customer just fine), and, regardless, it seems like I can't be
guaranteed that the callback will always be run (e.g., if DI_QUIETINSTALL is
set).

So, any thoughts?  Has anyone else used a co-installer to modify registry
keys that the driver will read at startup?

Thanks for any assistance.  :-)

-andrew