[wdmaudiodev] Re: buffering samples in an APO

  • From: Matthew van Eerde <Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 19:10:27 +0000

Hmm... to err on the side of caution, let me make sure I understand correctly.
The following is a naïve approach:

APOProcess call

You are handed

You do

You output

1

448 samples

Append 448 samples to incoming queue
Incoming queue now has 448 samples
Outgoing queue is empty

448 samples of silence

2

448 samples

Append 448 samples to incoming queue
Process 768 samples
Output 448 samples
Incoming queue now has 128 samples
Outgoing queue now has 320 samples

448 samples of data

3

448 samples

Append 448 samples to incoming queue
Incoming queue now has 576 samples

4

448 samples

Append 448 samples to incoming queue
Process 768 samples
Output 448 samples
Incoming queue now has 256 samples
Outgoing queue now has 640 samples

448 samples of data

This approach won't work; you're alternating between outputting data and
silence, which will cause glitchiness. Instead, adopt a fixed delay equal to
your internal processing buffer size by pre-filling your output queue with 768
samples of silence.

APOProcess call

You are handed

You do

You output

1

448 samples

Append 448 samples to incoming queue
Incoming queue now has 448 samples
Output 448 samples of silence
Outgoing queue now has 320 samples of silence

448 samples of silence

2

448 samples

Append 448 samples to incoming queue
Process 768 samples
Output 448 samples
    320 of silence
    128 of processed data
Incoming queue now has 128 samples
Outgoing queue now has 640 samples

320 samples of silence
128 of processed data

3

448 samples

Append 448 samples to incoming queue
Incoming queue now has 576 samples
Output 448 samples
Outgoing queue now has 192 samples

448 samples of processed data

4

448 samples

Append 448 samples to incoming queue
Process 768 samples
Output 448 samples
Incoming queue now has 256 samples
Outgoing queue now has 512 samples

448 samples of processed data

Eventually you will get a final APOProcess call (though you won't know it at
the time.) Your incoming queue and your outgoing queue will still have data in
them. That's fine; the APO is under no obligation to flush its internal queues,
or to let Windows know what the state of its internal queues are, other than by
implementing IAudioProcessingObject::GetLatency().

Since your latency is 768 samples, your GetLatency implementation should return
1.0 * 768 * HNS_PER_SECOND / WAVEFORMATEX.nSamplesPerSec; for 44.1 data, this
is 174150 hundred-nanoseconds, or 17.4 ms.

From: soccerl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:soccerl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 00:13:35 +0000

Is this a 100% repro?  Which OS version is it?

An APO has no idea on when the stream will end. If an audio application stops
its streaming before the end of stream, I am not sure whether APO could do
anything with this situation.