[wdmaudiodev] Re: best approach to pro audio i/o on a PC

  • From: "Jerry Evans" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:47:06 +0100

Hi Mike

Thanks for any suggestions, or pointers to where to go to find the
information I need...

Not sure if latency and/or sync are issues for you.

The in-box Windows 7 USB audio drivers worked perfectly well with up to 48
channels of USB audio, tested with ARM M4 dev boards built some time back.
Data streamed into consumer DAWs (Sonar/Tracktion) with ~8-10ms latency
which was about as low as I'd expected to be possible. ASIO could in theory
be lower.

If you are planning a custom control panel app, then a composite device
(audio+HID for example) will provide a simple, driverless, control interface
as well.

The 800 pound gorilla in the room is, of course, USB audio 2 (UAC2) support.
If your device is going to play nice with Apple products you will need to
have device-side firmware that can switch between the two interfaces.
Multi-channel high speed (48Mbs) USB audio devices that implement UAC1 are
*not* supported by Apple. Sadly UAC2 *not* supported by Microsoft. (ahem)

There are third parties who can supply UAC2 drivers for Windows - thesycon
for example (disclaimer: I have zero connection with these guys)

Incidentally signing etc. is painless these days if you've got a properly
configured VS2013/2015 rig. Truly marvellous. WHQL remains another issue
entirely :)

HTH

Jerry