[wdmaudiodev] audio driver questions

  • From: Tim Newsham <tim.newsham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:31:38 -1000

I'm new to windows audio drivers.  I'm working my way through an MSVAD like
driver now and have some questions:
 - Is it possible to unregister a miniport driver?  Ie. it would be nifty if
I could create a miniport driver on demand from another device and then when
that other device closed, unregister the miniport.  I noticed that
miniport-based drivers like msvad can be loaded and unloaded from a live
system just fine.  I just havent noticed any way to do this from within a
driver.
 - Reading through old posts I noticed someone mention that you can get more
control over dynamically changing topology by not using a miniport driver.
 I wish I still had the reference to the post, but I can't seem to find it
now.  Could someone shed more light on this, hopefully with pointers to what
APIs to investigate and some broad strokes on what the driver would have to
do to gain this flexibility?
 - How does RDP remote audio work?  Does the machine you connect to have a
virtual kernel driver for audio that it uses to pass the audio stream back
over the network?

Thank you,
Tim