[wdmaudiodev] Windows 7 test sound question

  • From: Bartosik Lukasz-ALB045 <lukasz.bartosik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:34:07 +0000

Hello,

I have a question regarding playing test sound on Windows 7.

We have developed a USB Audio device that uses Windows 7 provided driver
usbaudio.sys.

One of the output terminals on that USB device presents itself as a 6 channel
playback device in Windows. When I select to play a test tone on that
particular playback device (playback devices->right mouse button on the 6
channel device->Test) I see that Windows sends data only to channel 1 and that
on channels from 2 to 6 there are usually zeros with periodically some garbage
data like 0x0001 or 0xFFFF (the device accepts 16 bit samples).

When we're sending audio data from our test application which uses WASAPI
everything works fine.

Do you know why playing test sound does not send data to all 6 channels ? And
where does the garbage data come from (0x0001, 0xFFFF) ?
Thanks,
Lukasz