[wdmaudiodev] Win10 as VMware guest

  • From: Eugene Muzychenko <eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 17:34:24 +0600

Hello!

I use VMware Workstation 8.0.6. XP, Vista, Win7/8/8.1 work fine under
it. But as I had installed Win10 VM (a preview first, the release
now), I cannot get a stable audio streaming in Win10 guest. Even the
"Test" function produces a crackle on both emulated HD Audio and pure
virtual devices.

Running Latency Monitor, I see huge (up to dozens of milliseconds)
internal delays in Windows kernel and many system drivers. In Win7/8/8.1,
Latency Monitor shows much less delays.

Which changes in Win10 kernel can produce such results? It they
related to timekeeping? Can the problem be solved under Workstation 8,
or I absolutely need to upgrade my WS to a newer version?

Regards,
Eugene