[wdmaudiodev] Re: White Papers now available

  • From: Michel Jullian <mj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 14:35:45 +0100

Hi Alejandro,

Er...I feel a bit foolish making such an obvious suggestion...

Why don't you lower KMixer latency from the ridiculous present 30 ms to say one
or two ms (this could be a user preference -with a default value of 30 ms if
you must-, or could even be set automatically depending on hardware
performance)?

The performance hit due to overhead of calling the corresponding routine more
often would go totally undetected IMHO.

This way nobody would have to monopolize the audio hardware, or to fool around
with other APIs than the standard ones : it's quite simple to get acceptable (<
10ms) output latency using DirectSound on Win98SE/ME, it's a bit silly to get
exactly 30ms more on more modern OSes (with notoriously better scheduling
moreover!)

What am I missing ?

Yours,
Michel