[wdmaudiodev] Re: White Papers now available

  • From: "Van Mieghem, Dirk" <dvm@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:43:00 +0100

Hi Martin,
the documents you presented clearly indicate that direct kernel streaming
from an application is NOT to way to go. Is the design of a "low latency"
audio platform for Windows open for discussion or will "LongHorn" simply be
the 6th incarnation of WDM/KS? As far as I see it, WDM/KS is nothing more
than an extremely complicated way to have almost the same MME functionality
we had in NT4, with the necessary bugs included. End-users seem to get very
confused about the promises put forward by the WDM/KS platform. Most of us
support WDM/KS by now but what's the point? DirectShow is still using
WaveOut or DirectSound but via a "kernel proxy", fancy name but still lousy
performance. I don't get it, please enlighten me :)

Best regards,
Dirk