[wdmaudiodev] Re: White Papers now available

  • From: "Daniel E. Germann" <deg@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 08:29:43 -0600

Hi, Martin.

Thanks for these great resources.  I was so excited I read them before I had
breakfast. ;-)

In the Audio Device Performance white paper, I saw that a QFE is now
available for Windows Me to fix the KMixer "audio truncation to 16 bits on
playback" problem.  I knew about Windows 2000 SP3 having the fix, but I
hadn't heard about the Windows Me QFE.  Thanks.

The white paper also says the truncation problem does not apply to Windows
98 or Windows 98SE.  Is that correct?  I seem to recall Jerry Trantow doing
some testing with USB audio devices in July of 2001 that indicated the
truncation did occur in Windows 98SE.  If the Windows 98[SE] KMixer isn't
truncating output data, that would be good to know.  We've been holding off
on 24-bit USB devices and WDM Audio drivers because of this issue.

Thank you!

Best regards,
-Dan