[wdmaudiodev] WaveRT peculiarities

  • From: Robert Bielik <robert.bielik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:42:03 +0200

I have a running WaveRT client which can stream artefact-free with 150 frames
latency (the WaveRT buffer is
then 2*150 frames with 2 notifications per buffer).

The odd thing is that with 150 frames it works fine. If I set f.i. 200 frames,
pops/clicks are heared when opening/closing
other applications. I've set THREAD_PRIORITY_REALTIME, AvSetMmThreadCharacteristics to
"Pro Audio", AvSetMmThreadPriority
to AVRT_PRIORITY_HIGH and also popped in timeBeginPeriod(1), the whole
"shebang" in other words.

Why would a lower latency setting work better ? Scheduling granularity ? More optimized buffer size for the driver ? The driver always returns my requested buffer size, regardless of how odd it might be...
TIA
/Rob