[wdmaudiodev] Re: WavePciStream runs out of mappings

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:31:45 -0800

Markus Bollinger wrote:
> I have a strange problem with my WavePci based driver with a
> DirectSound based customer application (I do not have its sources).
> The application plays stereo sound for long time (> several weeks).
>
> After a certain time (several days to several weeks) the driver runs
> out of mappings (starvation) and the user applications play position
> does not continue.

I have seen this kind of thing in two different circumstances, although
I'm not sure in either case how you will chase it down.  I have seen
this happen when the stream clock rolls over, and either the application
or the driver failed to handle that case.  I have also seen this happen
because of a drifting clock.  If the audio device clock and the system
clock differ, you get buffers backing up until there are none left.  Is
this audio only, or is there a video stream as well?  I have certainly
seen this happen in an audio/video graph where the two clocks differ.