[wdmaudiodev] Re: Wav file format tags--updates??

  • From: "Daniel E. Germann" <deg@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:49:24 -0500

Hi, Tobias.

The last time I tried to register a new Multimedia Product ID using the
mmreg email alias, Microsoft told me they didn't register these anymore, and
said users should create their own Multimedia Manufacturer and Product IDs
these days using GUIDs and KSPROPERTY_GENERAL_COMPONENTID.

Take a look at this page in the DDK, which has info about this:
    Windows DDK
      Streaming Devices (Video and Audio)
        Design Guide
          Audio Drivers
            Driver Support for Legacy Audio Interfaces
              WDM Audio Extensions to Legacy Windows Multimedia APIs
                Extended Capabilities from a WDM Audio Driver

The drawback is that this method requires Windows XP or later.  But there's
a workaround if you're on earlier OS platforms: your application software
can send an IOCTL_KS_PROPERTY request to ask your driver for the
KSPROPERTY_GENERAL_COMPONENTID property and get back the KSCOMPONENTID
struct with your GUIDs in it.  It's not as convenient as using
xxxGetDevCaps, but it works.

Best regards,
-Dan