[wdmaudiodev] Re: WLK tests behave VERY strange

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:14:17 -0700

Eugene Muzychenko wrote:
>> The fee is refunded once the problem is identified as Microsoft's fault.
> I don't think that it is a good practice.

I don't know if you've ever been in a situation where your company was
required to provide telephone support, but it is hard to imagine how
expensive it is unless you've done the analysis.  In 1991, the company I
was working for computed that the average support call cost the company
$25.  It didn't take very many calls before the product was no longer
profitable.

Microsoft gets millions of support calls every year.  Maybe millions a
month.  Most of them are total BS, of the "my cup holder broke" ilk.
The paid support scheme is the only way to make sure they only pay
attention to people who have a vested interest in making the call succeed.

Windows is simply too widespread for unlimited free telephone support to
succeed.

> In such situation, I think that offering only a fee-based (and with
> relatively high fees) support to developers is not really nice.

The forums are their answer to this.  The forums are free, and you get
not only Microsoft support but support from developers who have
real-world experience.

>> Also, if you have an MSDN subscription (most of us do), you're entitled
>> to 10 free support incidents.
> Hmmm, where did you see 10 incidents? I see no more than 4:

Maybe I'm out of touch.  It used to be 10.

> And these incidents are not easy to use - you must make a phone call
> first to obtain a contract/ID. Such things should be more convenient.

No.  If they were more convenient, they'd be flooded with idiotic
requests and the prices would have to go up.