[wdmaudiodev] Re: WLK tests behave VERY strange

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:45:53 -0700

Eugene Muzychenko wrote:
> Why telephone? I mean email/ticket support exclusively. As a
> developer, I prefer communication in writing, it allows to describe
> a situation exactly to be sure it would be understood correctly, and
> to expect an exact, informative answer. I think most developers prefer
> technical communication in writing too.

I'm sure they would, but the noise level for electronic communication is
several orders of magnitude higher.  You're just not thinking about the
economics of scale here.  How could you possibly sift through a million
email messages a day and pick out the ones that need genuine attention?

You do have the option of the "Microsoft Connect" site at
http://connect.microsoft.com.  That is a site dedicated to allowing
folks to submit bug reports against Microsoft products, in a pipeline
that goes directly to the development team.  You have to go through a
short validation process to become a member, which is how they solve the
bozo problem.  Not every product is available there, however.

> You saw that I asked here but Matthew (the MS representative)
> suggested to create a support request at MS site.

Matthew is a Microsoft employee who participates here of his own
volition.  He does not "represent" Microsoft in this forum, and I'm
pretty sure he does not have the authority to create support requests on
your behalf.  If you want guaranteed support, you need to call in with a
paid support incident.  That's the way to get their attention?

> For almost every commercial software product I
> have, I can log in at product's site and create a support ticket. But
> at MSDN site, I don't see such feature. Only a phone support is
> offered.

I guarantee you that none of the other commercial software products you
use have hundreds of millions of users.  It is the vast scale here that
makes what you ask impractical.  That, plus the fact that 90% of the
users are idiots who are still looking for the "any" key (as in "press
any key to continue").

> Moreover, it is VERY hard to contact MS staff via email. Several years
> ago, I had a problem with my credit card (my bank hadn't properly
> activated it) so MS could not charge my card to renew my subscription.
> It required to navigate many different pages at MS sites to find a
> valid email address to write to. Why does MS prefer a phone support
> to email one?

Volume.  There are just too many bozos.  You have to be serious to fall
back to the telephone.