[wdmaudiodev] Re: WHQL for virtual audio driver

  • From: Matthew van Eerde <Matthew.van.Eerde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 17:52:39 +0000

I wasn’t sure whether Arthur meant “application”, “audio precision” (as a
colleague of mine suggested), or “access point” (e.g., perhaps the driver
functions as a Miracast receiver.) I’m still not sure, but like you I am
leaning toward “application”.

Arthur, can you confirm?

Tim, when you say a “pipe to user mode”, do you have in mind:

1. an audio playback endpoint that can be used by a dumb app (like
Virtual Audio Cable does it), or

2. a custom interface which the driver would expose to “in the know”
user-mode code?

The closest thing to audio routing that Windows supports today is the WASAPI
audio loopback interface. In principle a driver could be packaged with a
user-mode service which includes a WASAPI loopback client; this could deliver
the audio back to the driver via a custom mechanism, and the driver could do
whatever it liked with it (e.g., deliver it up on a recording endpoint.)