[wdmaudiodev] WDM Miniport Driver :: Friendly Name Problem in VISTA

  • From: "Chinmay Mahata" <chinmay.mahata@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:12:55 +0530

Hi All,

I've developed a WDM miniport driver for multiple (physical) ports on a card
(which has only one PCI ID and set of resources) using the multiple
subdevices approach.

Each port has its own wave subdevice, and within each I have a physical
portId (instance) field that I initialise when the subdevices are created by
calling SetPhysicalPortId, so I can tell them apart later on.

  InstallSubdevice(..., "WaveA",...);

  InstallSubdevice(..., "WaveB",...);

  InstallSubdevice(..., "WaveC",...);

  InstallSubdevice(..., "WaveD",...);

And there are corresponding AddInterface, AddReg and FriendlyName
entries in the INF.

In WinXP it works just fine. From the user space multimedia application we
can easily get the friendly names of the specific ports (devices) exactly
what we specified in the INF.

But after porting that miniport WDM driver in Windows VISTA, we are NOT
getting the friendly names of the devices and having hard time to identify a
particular device from our multimedia application (using
WaveIn/OutGetDevCaps).

Could anyone please let us know how we can get the friendly names of the
devices from an application in Windows VISTA?

Please let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks in advance.

With best regards,

--Chinmay Mahata