[wdmaudiodev] Re: WDM Audio Subdevice registration and unregistration

  • From: Uwe Kirst <u.kirst@xxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:52:24 +0200

The purpose is obvious. I want to do what everyone wants: to change the samplerate within vista. I did it already but the prise was that I had to unload the whole driver, which takes very long (some minutes or so, depending on the number of subdevices). During the unload of the driver the subdevices are unregistered automatically, so no problem here. I had to add nothing to my driver for the unregistration. Ioctls are no problem for me, I want to try the unregistration by ioclt, but dont know how to start. Does anyone have some sample source code (I mean an examples howto simply unregister a single subdevice)?

The model is WaveCyc, but I dont think that makes a difference.

thanks
/Uwe

Ken Cooper schrieb:
Uwe,

     What is the purpose of your dynamic loading and unloading?  Also, what OS
is your target and what is your port/miniport model (WaveCyc, WavePci, WaveRT,
etc.)?  We added some support in Vista to separate out the registration of
subdevices from the publication of their device interfaces (i.e. - publicizing
them to the system), so perhaps there is another approach that may make sense
for your application.  In any case, what you are attempting can definately be
done.

Ken
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:57:34 +1000

I am working on modifying the MSVAD sample driver (simple) running on
Windows Vista in order to allow the Wave and Topology subdevices to be
registered in response to an IOCTL sent from a user mode process.
This is
to provide dynamic subdevice creation functionality.  I am also adding
functionality to unregister the devices when a second IOCTL is received.
I would like to know how to do the unregistering. Is there an example in
the ddk? The registering is simple, because all examples used to do it.
So far I did the unregistering by unloading the driver by a user mode
progam. I would like to know wether the IOCTL approach is significantly
faster (64 subdevices take some time)?
I also do not like the idea with my approach that there is some time
between the unloading / reloading where the hardware is not controlled
by any driver.
/Uwe