[wdmaudiodev] Re: Vista64 Driver Signing...

  • From: "Walter Oney" <waltoney@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:17:12 -0400

From: "Tim Roberts" <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
I think it is pretty contra-productive to rule out all independent
consultants as being able to release Vista64 (and above) drivers.
Also, in the US at least, it just isn't that hard to incorporate, and it
has many benefits.  You file a standard form and pay $50, and off you go.

I have also complained many times about the policy. In the end, I created a one-man limited liability company so I could get a certificate. This was easy for me because I'm also an attorney and familiar with the process.

I would not recommend that a US person setup a corporation or LLC without legal advice, however, because there are many issues that aren't readily apparent to non-lawyers. Just to mention a few: Do you need a worker's comp policy? Do you have to pay unemployment insurance premiums? How should you sign your contracts? Do you need a bank account? What formalities do you have to maintain? How will the entity be taxed? What is the tax treatment for assets you transfer to or from the entity? Etc. And, the answers are different in every state.

Walter Oney
Consulting and Training
www.oneysoft.com

--