[wdmaudiodev] Re: Vista Sample Rate Changes

  • From: AI Developer <developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:03:46 +0530

Hakon,

Please tell us how to solve the following problem in Vista:

a. The user has set the sampling rate to 44.1K.
b. The device is using an external clock source, which was running at 44.1K.
c. The external clock source changes the rate to 48K.

Somehow the Windows Audio Engine needs to start using the correct sampling rate. How should that happen?

Do you suggest that the user open the Sounds control panel and change the rate to match the external source?

Even when some components (the driver) in the system know what the proper rate should be and can provide that information to the Windows Audio Engine, should we be asking the user to make this change manually?

Perhaps you can tell us how to approach this problem in another manner.

We know how to solve this with ASIO. We know how to solve this with Mac OS.

We even know how to make this work in Windows XP (kind of).

Thanks.
Devendra.

Hakon Strande wrote:

Apparently by design in Vista, only the user can set the hardware sampling rate

Assuming this thread is about programmatic control of Windows Sound Control Panel settings:

Features requested by this very community in the past; the need for a transparent, predictable OS audio engine avoiding the OS audio engine mucking about with audio bits when not necessary lead to a Vista audio system design where the user is in control because:

1.       Devices don’t know what content the user is playing, only what that particular device/endpoint is best at rendering

2.       Applications certainly should not muck around with settings that affect other applications because an application does not know what other apps using that device is rendering.

Better to leave it to the user or at the default setting.

Also, in Vista the default device sample rate (if the device supports it) is 44.1kHz because 95% of content is still mastered at that rate and it is the rate that offers the least amount of quality impact and CPU processing impact for the largest number of audio scenarios.

We did a rough calculation of how many trees we would save by not sample rate from 44.1kHz to for instance 48kHz (common sample rate used by devices) for let’s say 250 million PCs (about the number sold in a year) by users using the PC to play music (a common scenario for approx. 60% of us) and while I can’t find the numbers right now it amounted to A LOT of trees.

So, think green and don’t muck about with audio sample rate settings programmatically J.

Sincerely,

Hakon Strande | Software PM | Microsoft Hardware