[wdmaudiodev] Re: Vista Audio Architecture

  • From: Hakon Strande <hakons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:53:11 -0700

All legacy driver models should continue to work for basic streaming in
most cases but AEC and Mic Array processing are application graph DMO
effects in Vista (and hosted by the RTC API as well) and does not belong
in the driver layer in our vision of Windows and our desire to enable
more powerful and flexible Windows application experiences going
forward.

System Effects are needed when using the PortCls WaveRT miniport model
to host IHV value-add such as Speaker Compensation, Speaker
fill/virtualization, etc since the WaveRT miniport driver does not touch
the audio stream itself.

Processing that was in the past hosted in the kernel which caused A LOT
of instability so we designed an audio system that moves a lot of the
historically problematic code into user mode where it can't bring down
the system.

WaveRT is a port model designed to work well with HD Audio solutions
which is one of the hardware technologies required under the UAA
initiative.

You can read these documents to understand this better:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/audio/wavertport.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/audio/sysfx.mspx

Sincerely,

Hakon Strande

PM Integrated, Internal, External, and Wireless Audio Devices

MediaTech/DMD/Windows Client/Microsoft