[wdmaudiodev] Vista APOs

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 10:09:20 -0700

I am trying to do the reading on the Vista audio architecture, and I
have a terminology question.  I have seen numerous references saying
that APOs are the right way to handle custom processing that might have
been implemented as a filter driver in previous releases.  But the only
white papers I can find describe writing "sAPOs" - System-Effect Audio
Processing Objects.

Are APO and sAPO just two names for the same thing, or is an sAPO a
specialization of some more general APO concept that I cannot find?  Is
the audio\sysfx\apo sample in the DDK the right place to start?  I found
one reference to an APO SDK being available in the Platform SDK.  Is
that still the plan, or should I stay with the DDK/WDK?