[wdmaudiodev] Re: Vista 5.1 speaker mode question

  • From: Nick Gorohov <engkosha2001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:21:00 -0700 (PDT)

Mike, Hakon,
let's clear up the issue.

There are two schemas of speaker placement in 7.1:
Home Theater (Dolby classic) configuration and Wide configuration.
Though both are using SAME audio hardware, speaker placement in the room and
speaker configuration flags are different. There should be two different lines
in the speaker config selection dropbox.

In the wide configuration there is no rear speakers.
From the other hand Dolby 5.1 content does not have side channels, only rear.

Generally saying both pieces - audio mapper and decoder should do the right job
for correct output. 5.1 audio played on 7.1 classic config will be sounding in
different way depending what kind of compression is used.

Some useful info is here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/SpkrConfig5.doc

Full capabilities HD audio (in the future) may carry up to 13.2 config audio
channels; but usually not more than 6 at the same time.

It would be good if Microsoft will include a correct audiodecoder output
testing in their Vista certification to keep Audio Standard right. Otherwise HD
audio will be too confusing for the overage user...

Nick Gorokhov,
Senior Engineer

E-mail: gnvj@xxxxxxxx

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.