[wdmaudiodev] Re: Unwanted FriendlyName uniquifying number prefix for USB PortCls MIDI miniport

  • From: Andrew Vogan <andrewvog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 08:49:10 -0400

OK, if nobody knows how to change it, is there at least a way to detect
from my kernel driver what numeric prefix the audio stack is adding to my
friendly name? The reason is that I am exposing a (third party standard)
ASIO audio device in addition to the native Windows MIDI device. Obviously
I have complete control over the ASIO device name, and ideally I'd like the
ASIO and MIDI device names to match.

Regards,
Andrew

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Andrew Vogan <andrewvog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My client wants to override the friendly MIDI device name specified in the
INF and follow a scheme like the following when multiple identical devices
are connected...

"My Device"
"My Device (2)"
"My Device (3)"

... and so on. However, the audio stack is inserting a uniquifying prefix
of "2- " onto the device name. Where does that come from, and is there a
way to override it?

I can already change the FriendlyName successfully
via IoOpenDeviceInterfaceRegistryKey following IoGetDeviceInterfaces with
the PDO. This sends me to the following registry location, at least on
Win8.1:

Key:
Parameters

Value name "FriendlyName" of type: REG_SZ

When I change the FriendlyName value, I can successfully see the new name
as I enumerate MIDI devices, however I also still see the unwanted, and in
my opinion, no longer necessary prefix of "2- ", so I end up with a device
name of "2- My Device (2)" and so on. Ideas?

Regards,
Andrew