[wdmaudiodev] Understanding USB Feature Unit Descriptors

  • From: RYAN ALLAN <ryanallan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:31:55 -0700

I am developing a USB-to-analog audio device, and am seeing strange
volume scaling behavior from Windows 7/Vista machines. The problem is
not apparent with XP machines.
I am using the
 following Feature Unit Descriptors.

Get_Min: 0x01, 0x80

Get_Max: 0xFF, 0x7F

Get_Res: 0x00, 0x10This tells me that the volume will be in the
 range from Min:0x8001 to Max:0x7FFFF, and each step (each time the
volume is incremented via volume+ button on a multimedia keyboard) will
be of size Res:0x1000. Is this correct?

When I move the volume slider in a Windows 7/Vista machine, the
volume (I am looking at Set_Cur packets) moves in a range from 0x7FFFF
to 0x3900 with step sizes of 0x0100. The same experiment on a XP machine
 sees the volume move in a range from 0x7FFF to
 0x8001 with step sizes of 0x1000. Why do the two OS's have different
behavior?
I would like volume to be in the range from -127db - +127db (as per
USB spec), and I would like step sizes of 0x1000. Basically, I would
like the Windows 7 machine to behave like the XP machine.
Thanks!

--
Ryan