[wdmaudiodev] Re: USBAudio and AVStream

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:34:14 -0800

Nugen wrote:

> the fact is that i need a less than 10 ms latency...

What do you mean by that?  People always say they want extremely low
latency, but I suspect most who do so are saying it because it was a
bullet item on some marketing PowerPoint presentation, and not because
it reflects any real technical requirement.  What is your application?

Most digital cell phones have a latency of several hundred milliseconds,
and it certainly has not slowed their path to world domination.  For
video conferencing, there's little point in aiming any lower than about
100 milliseconds, partly because a single video frame lasts 33ms, and
partly because network latency swaps the local latency.

> Is it possible with Directshow?

It's not impossible.  It depends on what else is going on, and what you
are doing with the data.  I'd like to hear more about what your
application is.