[wdmaudiodev] Re: USBAudio and AVStream

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:11:41 -0800

Nugen wrote:

> I would like to use DirectKS to access directly the usbaudio.sys
> to capture audio from an external usb device.
> I read about DirectKS, AVStream and audio.sys articles, but i can't find
> a way to understand really how to start my application...
> Does anyone can give me a link or any help to understand at a higher
> level what
> are the differents steps and call i have to do to find my device, and
> communicate with it in that way?

If you are really just starting out, then forget about DirectKS and just
write a standard waveIn or DirectShow application to get your data.
After you get that working, you can decide whether the performance is
adequate or not.

There seems to be a common but mistaken impression that DirectKS is
somehow vastly superior to the standard multimedia APIs, just like there
is a mistaken impression that code runs faster in kernel mode than in
user mode.  Neither statement is true.