[wdmaudiodev] Re: USB2.0 High speed audio device for windows XP

  • From: <carsten_30_@xxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:08:05 +0100

Hi Tim,

if you remember my first question, it was: "How can i make avssamp appear as a system audio device, because I want to develop a kernel streaming driver (based on avssamp) wich deals with my USB2.0 audio device. But all trys to access this WDM KS driver as a system audio device fail. Waht must I do? Change topology, AddInterfaces in the inf, what is the way?" Your answer was(and sounds like an accusation): "May I ask why you are not using usbaudio.sys? I cannot imagine anyone in the last 5 years who would have designed a USB-based audio device
that was not USB Audio Class compliant."

What should I say? You can not imagine anyone in the last 5 years, who needs USB2.0 bandwidth with audio!!! But I do! And for me is usbaudio.sys useless!!! But, by the way, I have learned a lot about MS-Audio in the the last two weeks. But the more I know the more and more confusing became usbaudio.sys. here are some examples:

If I report more than one sample rate in the Class Specific Audio Streaming Interface Descriptor,like this
       ;; class specific Audio Streaming interface Descriptor
        db   7               ;; length
        db   CS_INTERFACE    ;; Type
        db   GENERAL         ;; Sub type
         db   2               ;; bTerminalLink (ID of Output Terminal)
        db   1               ;; bDelay
        dwi  1              ;; wFormat (PCM=0001)

         ;; FormatDescriptor
         db   0BH             ;; length
        db   CS_INTERFACE    ;; Descriptor type
        db   FORMAT_TYPE     ;; Sub Type (Format_Type)
        db   FORMAT_TYPE_I   ;;
        db   NumChannels     ;; # channels
        db   2               ;; byte per subframe
        db   16              ;; Bits per Sample
        db   2               ;; #frequncies supportred
        db  0x80,0xBB,0x00  ;; 48 khz
        db  0xF0, 0x55, 0x00 ;; 22 Khz

the device doesn't appear as a system audio device no more.

How will usbaudio.sys select one of the repoerted sample rates (i havn't found a request for this).

If I report 1 input terminal (line in)and 1 output terminal and connect them directly, all is fine, device is a system audio device. If I report 2 input terminals (lines in) and 1 output terminal and connect them via a selector, the device is accessible via WDM(Graphedit/KsTools works fine) but no more as system audio device.

Very, very confusing!!!

Carsten

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Roberts" <timr@xxxxxxxxx>