[wdmaudiodev] Re: USB midi driver?

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:28:22 -0800

Bert Schiettecatte wrote:

The problem is that if I design a class-compliant driver, and two
identical devices are attached, there is no way to distinguish between
the two devices? At least that is what I heard from companies who
started writing their own drivers after trying to design the device
class-compliant.

What's the use case where you need to know this? If you're connecting up two MIDI devices with different capabilities, doesn't MIDI have custom messages for reporting capabilities so you can tell the difference that way? And if you connect up two identical MIDI devices, why would it matter?

If they have serial numbers, you should be able to get the serial number from the device name using the SetupDi APIs.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx