[wdmaudiodev] Re: USB MIDI using PIC18F4550 - NO MIDI PORTS!

  • From: wade <wdawson61@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 05:44:12 -0700 (PDT)

We had a class-compliant USB audio device working in WinXp and had to modify
the terminal types in the audio class specific sections of the descriptors.
Apperently Vista didn't like 0x0601 "Analog Connector" as the terminal types,
and as such, wouldn't make the interfaces available to apps.  I changed them to
0x0201(Micropohone)  and 0x0301 (Speaker) and Vista then recognized the device
as worthy of having its interfaces exposed to the system.

Tom White <twhite@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > > I think the descriptors that you need for USB MIDI are different for
> > Win9X, WinXP, and Vista, so you need to watch that, too.
>
> Really? Do you have any references for that? There aren't all that many
> places where you can choose from alternatives.
> --
> Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx
> Providenza & Boeklheide, Inc.
> ******************

I based my comment on discussions in MMA about why USB-MIDI devices
designed for XP don't work correctly in Vista (among other version
incompatibilities).

I believe the answer has been that Windows 9X expects one set of
descriptors, Win XP adds support for another set (supports both),
and Vista only supports the newer WinXp set. But when I asked for
documentation so I could respond to any future queries, the answer
I got was "it's in the USB-MIDI specification". So I don't have the
specific references for you, but I am pretty sure someone else on
this list can tell you what they are.

Tom White
www.midi.org

photos & more.