[wdmaudiodev] Re: USB Audio/WASAPI channel limits?

  • From: "Jerry Evans" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 20:01:49 -0000

Hi Matthew

The wchannelMask is clearly having more impact than I expected.

If I set a channel mask of 0x00 in device firmware and ensure channel mask
in WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE is also zero , I can record data correctly using
WASAPI exclusive mode via the Portaudio libraries. I am getting data as
expected, which is good.

Question arising are:

If one calls IAudioClient::IsFormatSupported() to check the device's native
format using a WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE struct where the channel mask does *not*
match that of the device, will this return a 'format not supported' error?

An well-known audio recording app is failing with the device, whilst others
work as expected with WASAPI mode. Is there any way I can determine if (and
what) channel mask it uses when checking in with the audi engine? Is there
any ETW style log data? Or a KS spy?

Thanks.