[wdmaudiodev] Re: USB Audio device identification

  • From: uwe kirst <u.kirst@xxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:03:30 +0200

Hello,
Q1:
I don't know a way to decide which device is which. The algorithm how windows decides which is the first device seems to be secret. But it may be possible to change the name afterwards (with the help of the Setupapi).
Q2:
I think you can use the Setupapi to get the unique id. It's part of the device name. This is at least true for firewire, but I think USB is similar.
Uwe

Paal Tamas wrote:

Dear All,

I have to use more then one USB Audio device at once in my system. All of them are standard USB Audio devices, using the default windows driver (Win2000 and XP installs it automatically during the first device attache.)
Q1.: How can I differentate between those devices? I mean, is there an easy way (using WINAPI function(s)) to get to know which device handle points to which device (in my application)? ( The waveOutGetDevCaps() function does not give enough information to choose which device is which.) Q2.: I have unique serial number for each device. Is there a way to read the serial number of an opened USB Audio device (currently I am using only API functions for standard (all) audio devices)

Thanx
Tom