[wdmaudiodev] URL branding and KMixer dithering

  • From: "Daniel E. Germann" <deg@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:31:55 -0600

The DDK docs talk about Windows XP Control Panel Branding for a bitmap that
goes in the audio device's property page and an icon that goes in the
Windows Mixer.  I can set those values in the registry, and they work great.

HKR,Branding,bitmap,,"device.dll,101"
HKR,Branding,icon,,"device.dll,100"

But there also seems to be a "url" value that (almost) changes the device
name into a hotlink.  The context help for this item on the audio device's
property page seems to confirm this.  If I set the URL branding value in the
registry,

HKR,Branding,url,,"http://www.mycompany.com/";

it underlines the device name so it looks like a hotlink (and Spy++ shows it
as a control with a Class of SysLink and a Caption of "<A
HREF="http://www.mycompany.com/";>Product Name</A>"), but the hotlink doesn't
seem to work.  Am I missing something, or is this capability not really
implemented yet?  I'm testing on Windows XP (no service packs or hotfixes).

Also, I posted this message a week or so ago, and didn't get a reply, so I
thought I'd give it one more shot.

If an application program uses the waveIn/waveOut APIs (or DirectSound APIs,
for that matter) to open a WDM Audio wave device at 16 bits/sample, and the
driver's DataRangeIntersection handler returns a 24-bit data format, I
believe KMixer does bit depth conversion to translate from the application's
bit depth to the driver's (hardware's) bit depth.  When this bit depth
conversion occurs, does KMixer do any sort of dithering, or does it just pad
with 8 bits of 0 on output and truncate to 16 bits on input?

Thank you!

-Dan