[wdmaudiodev] To C++ or not to C++

  • From: Girish Pattabiraman <girish.pattabiraman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 17:08:06 -0800

MSDN has this article about risks of using C++ in drivers -
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487420.aspx

But PortCls drivers, especially audio drivers are C++ by default.

Why have they taken such a cowardly approach in the article?
Either they should declare explicitly that C++ is not allowed, or they
should provide full support for C++.

I don't like the words "might", "maybe", etc. in documentation. Computer
science is an exact science in which everything should be clearly defined.

The author mentions reading the output of the compiler (assembly) carefully,
is he really being serious about it??
Does he really expect us to go through assembly output of the compiler?
I'm not super-human and cannot (infact refuse) to go through compiler
generated assembly of everything I have written.

Has anyone ever encountered a crash due to using C++ in WDM drivers?

Regards,
Girish

--
"Motive of LIFE: It is not death that I wish to avoid but life which I wish
to live." - Ayn Rand